Online Driving Licence Application
Driving in India requires a government-issued licence. This document verifies that the person can drive or ride a car, truck, bike, bus, etc. without supervision.
Easy Process and Documentation
- Residence Proof
- Driving Licence Application Form
- Copy of valid learner’s licence.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Age Proof like 10th class marksheet.
- 6 passport size photographs.
Cost and Timeframe
- When you send us your paperwork, our experienced staff will review your paperwork with local government officials to determine the service’s cost, feasibility, and completion date. After a quote has been given, it remains fixed. Location affects project duration and cost. Send us your documents and specific requirements to get a price and turnaround estimate.
- On an average Procurement takes four to six weeks.
India's Most Trusted Legal Documentation Portal
Driving Licence– How to get Driving Licence
Why You Need a Driver's License
A DRIVING LICENSE IS WHAT?
In India, if you want to drive a car on a public road, you need to have a valid driver’s licence. The Indian government is in charge of giving out this licence. This document is proof that the person has the legal right to drive a car without being with someone else or being watched. A car, a truck, a bicycle, and a bus are all examples of this kind of vehicle. If you have a driver’s licence, also called a DL or driving licence, it shows that you have completed the required training and tests and that you know all the rules and laws about driving.
In India, you can get your driver’s licence from either the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) or the Regional Transport Authority (RTO) of the state where you live. A driver’s licence has a picture of the owner and the car’s registration number, which can be used to find out who owns the car. It needs to have a rubber stamp and a signature with the name of the officer in charge and the name of the group that gave it. In India, you need to have a Learner’s Driver’s License before you can get behind the wheel of a car. After that, you can apply for a driver’s licence that will last your whole life.
Driving License Categories in India
CATEGORY OF USE
MC 50CC (Motorcycle 50cc)
Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or less
Motorcycles with any engine capacity, but without gears, including mopeds and scooters
Light motor vehicles that are used for non-transport purposes
Motorcycles with gear, Motorcycles with a capacity of 50CC or more, Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) including cars
MC With Gear or M/CYCL.WG
All motorcycles even with gear
For medium goods vehicle
Light motor vehicles including motorcars, jeeps, taxis, delivery vans
Heavy Motor Vehicles
Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle
Heavy passenger motor vehicle/Heavy transport vehicle
Person holding heavy vehicle driving licence can apply for heavy trailer license
HOW DO I GET A DRIVER'S LICENSE IN INDIA?
You can easily find out what steps you need to take to get a DL in India because you can get the driving test online and offline.
How to apply online for a driver’s licence?
Follow the steps below to apply for your driver’s licence online:
- Visit the website for Sarathi (sarathi.nic.in). Click “Sarathi Services” and choose “New Driver’s License.” Read the information and save the form.
- Fill out the form as instructed and send it in. Write down the form application number before you send in the form.
- After you send in your application, you will get an SMS that tells you where your application stands.
- Click “Appointment for LL test” under “Online Transaction with Sarathi” to set up your learner’s licence test.
- With “Appointment for LL test,” you can set the date and time of your test.
- At the time of the test, you’ll need to bring the required documents, like proof of your age and where you live.
How to apply for a licence without going to the RTO?
Follow the steps below to learn how to apply for a driving licence without going online.
- Get the application form (Form 1 for a learner’s licence and Form 4 for a permanent licence) for a driving licence in India. You can get the form from the nearest RTO office or download it from the state transportation website.
- Fill out the form and take it, along with proof of your age and where you live, to the RTO office in your area. Ask the people at the RTO to schedule your driving test and pay the fee.
- Get to the driving test centre at the time and date given. When you pass the test, your licence will be sent to the address you gave.
- If you go to a driving school for lessons, the people who work there can help you get your licence.
HOW TO QUALIFY FOR A LICENSE TO DRIVE IN INDIA
|VEHICLE TYPE||ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA|
|Motorcycles with gear||The applicant must be at least 18 years old.|
He should be aware of traffic rules and regulations and should have a valid age proof and address proof.
|Motorcycles without gear (capacity of up to 50CC)||The applicant should be minimum 16 years old and should have the consent of his guardian or parents.|
He must be aware of traffic rules and regulations, and should possess a valid age proof and address document.
|Heavy commercial vehicles||The applicant should have cleared the 8th standard.|
The applicant should be above the age of 18 (In some states, the minimum age for this vehicle type is 20 years).
The applicant should be trained from a government training school or one that is affiliated with the state government.
WHAT docs YOU NEED TO GET YOUR INDIAN DRIVERS LICENSE
While applying for a driving licence, here is a list of documents that you need to submit:
- Permanent address proof:
- House agreement
- LIC policy bond
- Voters ID card
- Ration card
- Electricity bill issued in applicant name
- Aadhar Card
- Temporary address proof (Registered Rental agreement and LPG bill/electricity bill)
- Birth certificate
- Pan card
- SSC certificate
- School transfer certificate with date of birth printed on it
Other document requirements for getting a driving licence:
- 3 passport size photographs while applying for a learner’s license
- 3 passport size photographs while applying for a permanent driving licence
- Application fees
- Duly filled application form
For applicants above 40 years, a medical certificate is mandatory
HOW DO YOU TAKE A TEST TO GET A DRIVER'S LICENSE?
To get a driver’s licence in India, you have to take a test that checks both your driving skills and your knowledge of traffic laws and rules.
- After 30 days of getting your learner’s licence, you can apply for a permanent driver’s licence. After the 30-day period of the learner’s licence is over, the application must be sent in within 180 days.
- Show up at least an hour early for the test.
- Bring all the required documents and pay the fees at the counter. If you made an appointment online, you will need to bring the test booking slip.
- Tests are done differently in each state. A Motor Vehicle Inspector will be there to watch the test.
- Usually, you will have to take a “Forward 8-shaped track test,” a “Parallel Parking test,” a “Reverse S Test,” or “Drive backwards on an S-shaped track.”
- For a two-wheeler test, you should make sure your feet don’t touch the ground.
- For a car test, you should use rear-view mirrors, use the right hand signals, and shift gears smoothly.
- You will also have to take a written test with questions about traffic laws and rules.
- If you apply for a driver’s licence online, you will take the written test online as well.
- If you pass both tests, you’ll get a receipt that acts as your driving licence until you get your copy by speed post.
Your own car is required to accompany you to the driving test, that much is certain.
A Learner’s license is a temporary license that is valid for six months. Before getting a permanent driving license, you need to get a learner’s license when you are learning to drive. After getting this type of license, you are allowed to drive on public roads only when you are accompanied by an individual holding a permanent driving license. You can apply for this type of license only by the age of 16.
After a period of 30 days has passed after the issuing of the learner’s permit, a person is then considered qualified to get a permanent driver’s licence. In India, the minimum age required to hold a driving licence that is valid permanently is 18.
In India, no, you are not permitted to use the driver’s licence of another person in order to operate a motor vehicle. If you are found guilty of doing such an act, you face the possibility of being sentenced to a jail term of up to six months, a fine, or both.
You may update your address on a driving licence obtained in India by submitting a request to the RTO that originally gave you the licence. You will need to provide a copy of your permanent licence and a document that verifies your new address in addition to submitting an application for the same.
No, you will not be able to use your Indian driver’s licence to get behind the wheel in another nation. To legally operate a motor vehicle in any foreign nation, you will need to first get an international driver’s licence.
Either at the Registry of Motor Vehicles Office (RTO) or online via the website of the Department of Motor Vehicles in your state, you may acquire an application form for a driver’s licence.
You can renew your driving license in Mumbai by obtaining a NOC for driving license transfer from the Delhi RTO.
Information such as your name, blood group, residence, date of birth, vehicle type for which the licence is granted, and any other relevant information is included on a driver’s licence.
Your driver’s licence is an authorised form of evidence of identification or residence that may assist you in completing the KYC procedure for the mutual fund house of your choosing so that you can register yourself with the company.
Several well-known motor training institutions can be found in India, including Maruti Driving School, Indian Motor Training School, and Perfect Motor Training School, amongst others.
It is possible to obtain a smart card driver’s licence in India. In addition to paying the required application fees and submitting a few documents, such as proof of age and address, an application form, passport-sized photographs, and a learning licence, you will also need to pay the required application fee.
You may check the status of your driver’s licence either by using the online portal at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal or by visiting the RTO office in person.
Yes, reserving a time slot for the driver’s licence exam may be done online in a select states and locations. You may inquire about the availability of an online booking service at the RTO, or you can go to the website maintained by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways at parivahan.gov.in/parivahan.