L & DO Free Hold Conversion

L&DO stands for Land and Development Office, a department of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) responsible for the management of land in Delhi. The conversion of leasehold property into freehold property in Delhi is a process commonly known as L&DO freehold conversion.

Easy Process and Documentation

Required Paperwork

  • Application for Conversion of Leasehold to Freehold
  • Copy of lease deed
  • Copy of allotment letter
  • Copy of possession letter
  • Copy of building plans approved by the authority
  • Copy of the latest property tax receipt
  • Affidavit on stamp paper
  • Indemnity bond on stamp paper
  • NOC from the society or RWA
  • No dues certificate from the concerned authority
  • Identity proof of the applicant

Process, Service Charges, Time duration

  • When you send us your paperwork, our experienced staff will review your paperwork with local government officials to determine the service’s cost, feasibility, and completion date. After a quote has been given, it remains fixed. Location affects project duration and cost. Send us your documents and specific requirements to get a price and turnaround estimate.
  • On an average Procurement takes four to six weeks.
2000+ locations Served
Happy Clients 50000+
Averge Google Rating 4.9

India's Most Trusted Legal Documentation Portal

Estimated range of cost : Rs. 2500 to Rs. 5000

I have read LEGALDOCS ADVISOR's Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement and agree to them by submitting this service request.

skip to content

What are the properties under the administration of the Land and Development Office (L&DO) that are eligible for freehold conversion?

  • All domestic plots that have been given out or rented by the Rehabilitation department or L&DO for residential use or who have gotten a finishing certificate or D-Form from local bodies.
  • All type ‘C’ tenements that the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO has put up for rent.
  • All type ‘A’ tenements that the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO has made available for rent.
  • All types of industrial plots that have been given out by the Department of Rehabilitation or L&DO on a leased basis or on a building that has a D-Form from the local government.
  • All types of business and mixed-use buildings whose ownership rights have been registered and which have been given by the Department of Rehabilitation, the Land and Development Office, or the Directorate of Estate.

Is Conversion mandatory or optional?

It is entirely voluntary to convert a leasehold property to a freehold property.

Who is eligible to apply for the conversion

  • Anyone whose name has been recorded with L&DO as a lessee on the organization’s records is eligible to submit an application for the conversion of the property. On the application for conversion, the signatures of all of the property’s lessees are necessary if the property has more than one lessee. Lessees have the option of providing a power of attorney so that someone else can sign the application on their behalf.
  • If the lessee has delegated their General Power of Attorney (GPA) to another individual for the execution of the Sale Deed, then that individual is also eligible to petition for the conversion of the lease. An application for conversion also has to include the name of the person to whom the conversion should be granted. If there is more than one GPA, then it is necessary to provide notarized copies of all of those GPAs in order to create a connection with the lessee on the official record.

Where is the registration submitted?

The completed application, along with the relevant attachments wherever applicable, and the money, can be submitted at any of the following Branches of the State Bank of India: – 1. The branch located at Connaught Place. 2. Rail Bhawan Branch 3. Kasturba Gandhi Marg Branch 4. Paharganj Branch 5. Jangpura Branch 6. Nehru Place Branch 7. Lajpat Nagar Ring Road Branch 8. Malviya Nagar Branch 9. R.K. Puram Branch 10. Lodhi Road Branch (Information and Orientation Centre) 11. Karol Bagh Branch (Padam Singh Road) 12. New Rajinder Nagar Branch 13. Moti Nagar Branch 14. South Patel Nagar Branch of the Patel National Bank 15. Tilak Nagar Branch 16. Department of the Vijay Nagar Branch 17. Azadpur Branch 18. Krishna Nagar Branch.

Who is authorised to sign the conveyance deed?

The conveyance document has to include the applicant’s signature on it if the applicant will be the lessee. The individual on whose name the conversion is permitted will be required to sign the conveyance document if the applicant is a GPA holder. However, they also have the option of granting power of attorney to any other person in order for that person to sign the conveyance deed on their behalf; however, the power of attorney that is granted for this reason must be a registered one.

Is stamp duty payable for the registration of conveyance deed?

If the property is being converted from a registered lease to freehold, then stamp duty will need to be paid on the total value of the conversion.

In the event that the lease deed was not properly registered, the stamp duty must be paid on the sum that was initially paid for acquiring the leasehold rights in addition to the sum that is currently paid for conversion.

If the conveyance deed is not registered within the allotted time period, then the lessee is obligated to apply for revalidation of the conveyance deed together with payment of the revalidation costs, which shall be 25% of the stamp duty that is required for registration of the conveyance deed.


What happens to the original lease document?

At the time of the execution of the transfer deed, the original lease deed has to be shown. On the same document, an endorsement stating that the property has been changed into freehold status is created, and it is then returned with the transfer deed.

What documents must be submitted with the application?

The following items need to be contained with every single submission:

  1. Challan (first version).
  2. Original picture of the renter or buyer in passport size.
  3. Indemnity Bond as per Annexe-F.
  4. Completion certificate or “D” form (Copy with Attestation).
  5. Promise (Proforma is included as Annex-G).

If the candidate already holds a GPA, the following further materials need to be included:

  1. Notarized General Power of Attorney (Registered Copy).
  2. Proof of Possession (Attested Copy).
  3. Attested copy of the transaction as evidence.
  4. Affidavit that the lessee is still alive and has not cancelled the GPA (Annexure-H). In circumstances when there are several GPAs, the affidavit should include all of them.
  5. If the property is mortgaged, the following documents must be included: Mortgagee’s No Objection Certificate (Attested Copy).